"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phil 3:14

Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Journey Home


Ever try to ignore what God is telling you? Ever try to tell Him you can't do whatever it is He is trying to tell you to do? Or maybe you don't want to?

Yea, me too and now here I am telling you that #1 its
a bad idea, #2 He will amaze you when you choose to do what He says, and #3 Never say Never!

Which bring me to my journey...
Those of you who have known me a long time know that in college I stated that I could NEVER, would NEVER be a teacher. Then when my sister (an amazing SAHM and homeschooler of 4) started homeschooling, I thought I could never do that. I always thought I was incapable of teaching anything, let alone school to my own children....

Then more recently God started giving me signs, which at first I ignored.... First, my husband and I watched "Waiting for Superman" an awesome documentary that I highly recommend for parents with kids of all ages and suddenly he was down for alternative methods of schooling. Second, I met some amazing home schooling Mamas through my MOPs group. Third, God used a very nice lady I met at Pink Peas to speak to me and she said, "Don't say you can't homeschool, give birth naturally, have a large family, etc. If God wants you to do something He will equip you to do it." It was such a casual statement but it was exactly what I needed to hear. From there I discussed the idea with hubby, he was completely on-board, prayed and prayed some more, and within a few days cancelled with the preschool I had Giana enrolled in for Fall.

Since then, God has blessed me with a tremendous amount of energy and excitement for homeschooling, some great resources, and possibilities of co-ops and many more ideas. I am thoroughly researching curricula, my front runners are My Father's World, A Beka, and Sonlight. I have also compiled a list of activities to do with kids in Las Vegas and surrounding areas. I would really like our first school year to focus a lot o
n hands-on learning, ABC/123 basics, and character/moral development using Scriptures and stories from the Bible. I am so overwhelmed, but so excited, like a kid at Christmas! Thank you Lord!

The title means that I went on my own little journey to find that God was actually leading me home.

"Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." Titus 2:3-5

A great homeschool resource: Confessions of a Homeschooler

I am thrilled to be following God on this new journey of homeschooling and seeing where He leads us next. :)

1 comment: